Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Search challenge 5

I'm still working up the post on the strategies for search challenge 4 (and may have to surrender my secret librarian decoder ring if I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with my IndexCat search for fainting after blood donation...if you have tips, please contact me!), but in the meantime, a search for this week -- we had a request from a reader for comparison-focused searches - comparing different treatments, diagnostic tests, etc.

So a comparative search for this week: How do the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP) diagnostic tests compare and is it necessary to do both tests in pediatric patients with suspected osteomyelitis and/or septic arthritis?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Ovid Medline:

1 exp Osteomyelitis/di [Diagnosis] 1213

2 exp Arthritis, Infectious/di [Diagnosis] 1023

3 1 or 2 2141

4 exp C-Reactive Protein/ 11352

5 erythrocyte sedimentation rate.mp. [mp=title, original title, abstract, name of substance word, subject heading word] 3207

6 4 and 5 534

7 3 and 6 9

8 limit 7 to english language 7

I didn't bother limiting to pediatric populations, as the result set was so small.

There's no MeSH heading for erythrocyte sedimentation rate (it maps to "Blood Sedimentation").

Interestingly, when I used the subheading "Diagnostic Use" with the MeSH heading "C-Reactive Protein," I got nothing after combining sets.

4/02/2008 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home